Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

I am researching my first seasonal job in Colorado this upcoming winter. I think I have limited down to Telluride or Steamboat Springs. Telluride seems to be the pick, and is the first one I have applied for a job at mainly because of housing.

Housing is my first concern because I will be bringing those two beautiful boxers in my picture with me. I called a realtor in Steamboat and he said that housing for me is basically nonexistent.

I have spoken to a handful of people in Telluride that are giving me hope. I am on the waiting list at Creekside Apts., and trying to also get in at Village Court Apts as well. I am willing to have roommates, but as of now it looks like I will be going out by myself. Friends seem to get nervous about such a move when the decision time comes.

Any suggestions for me? My goals are directed towards the experience. The job I am looking for just needs to cover all my expenses, and allow time for snowboarding. I want to meet as many great people as I can, and come back (or move forward) with some great stories. I am not picky regarding this, and would even change the resort given the right persuasion.

Any help/advice you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. And if you yourself are looking to do the same, drop me a line and maybe we can help each other out.

-Ryan

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm thinking about Colorado this winter as well. I've looked a little so far and Winter Park looked cool. Do you know anything about that area?
Sorry I can't help you out on this one, Ryan, but I would like it if you kept us informed on your progress. The Telluride area might be different, but I'm thinking most ski resort areas would be more like Steamboat's availability.

What types of jobs are you looking for?...I mean along the management/income level? I did one ski resort a couple of seasons ago. I'm a cook, with many years experience, there were a lot of positions making some more money than I, but I was no where near the entry-level wage either. I lived in one of the company's subsidized units (no pets allowed) with a few roommates, no car (big expense now), and really just came out of the season just above a break-even financially. That year mother nature wasn't as cooperative as usual...I kept in contact with some of the people who returned last winter, and the snow was much better...so there is that aspect, too.

I'm not writing this to scare you off, or in anyway to discourage you. But, I think you should be prepared. Good luck!
I did look into Winter Park. It is still an option, but as far as working there, I believe there are many more college aged people being that the Ski Train goes there from Denver. I know it was the main resort I was looking into visiting last year. Logically I look at that meaning there is less money to be made.

--

I have a lot of experience in the Hospitality arena, so being a server or bartender seems to be a good choice for me. I am saving up money now to get me through the first month, and to take care of deposits and up front expenses. Hopefully my car will be paid off by then as well. It looks like rent will be between 800-900 per month for a one bedroom. I would rather have roommates though...especially for the social aspect. Coming home each night to sit by myself isn't nearly as appealing. Most of the entry level, ticket checker or lift operator positions are paying 9.50/hr and will just barely cover rent, util., some food, and maybe my insurance. I don't want to get caught with not having enough money every month. I'm out there to have fun...not worry if I will be able to eat the next day or have medical insurance.

But either way, knowledge is power and preparing for the worst doesn't scare me off in the least. I will find a way to get it done, which is why I am starting early. Hopefully I can keep getting advice and suggestions. It's plenty early enough that if I have to change plans, it won't hurt.
I understand the social aspect...it's one of the main reason this work is fun.

That price doesn't seem too bad, either. Where I was, the smallest available for the season were two-bedrooms, starting around $1,500/month.

Definitely look into the medical insurance, most of us actually think the cost/benefit is really not in our favor and risk going without. One, if not the biggest drawback of this type of work. If you do grab one of those server or bartender jobs, you might be able to score some free food along the way. Have fun!
The main reason I put medical insurance with such importance is the fact that I have diabetes. There is no question that I will need to have coverage out there. I will definitely be doing a little extra planning to make sure everything is taken care of.
Ryan, a lot of the resorts (especially skiing) have employee housing you should ask about it. I know for sure that the Keystone Ski Resort has apartment style housing.

colorado is beautiful any time of the year.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service