Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Education and Work Experience hinder employment for Older and Bolder

I am an older and bolder who plans to take an early retirement this next year to work in the national parks. I noticed a blog about advanced degrees causing some problems for getting jobs in the parks. I do not have an advanced degree, but do have extensive work experience in management positions. I would like to know if others, especially those who have retired or taken an early retirement, have found any problems finding jobs in entry level positions due to their past work experience. apppreciate any feedback... thanks CJ

Views: 834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i was confused jim. i got mixed up, what they say is "real world". yeah i hear you, i really do not want a manager job if i can avoid it. yeah i understand that it is real work and i am up for it, i figure that it would be much nicer to be able to walk to work than commute in the grueling seattle traffic like i currently do and spending what little time i have for myself catching up on sleep. if an employer needs me to take on more responsibility i usually do with no questions asked, but the reason why i am getting into seasonal resort work is to try and relax a little more. again i am sorry for the confusion and did not mean to offend anyone by implying that what we do is not real or difficult.
No need to apologize Jon. I'm a complete jerk sometimes with my comments, especially after a glass of wine. Have you found a seasonal job yet? There are lots out there. I can't wait to get away. Keep us posted. Jim
no i haven't. i am pretty picky right now and want to stay in wa state for tax reasons, plus i would like to be able to help my parents move this summer. i have lined up a couple of painting jobs for the next couple of weeks and been e-mailing the resorts that i have applied to that i will remain availible if they have some no shows. i also didn't apply early enough this year. i won't let that happen again. i am going to try for stevens pass this winter. next summer after everything is settled, i would like to get up to alaska. i need to get a couple of certs though.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service