Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Since I have been doing this seasonal gig longer and longer I have realized that in the past perhaps some seasonal jobs take advantage of people and you sign up to do things that otherwise you might not do because you are excited to do that job.

This winter I accepted working at a ranch that is pretty high class and 5 star and so on. I gave them a start date of when I can start after, telling them I get done on April 17th and they wanted me to start on the 20th but would of liked me to arrive by the 18th to go to orientation. I really didn't think anything of it at the time because I was excited for the pay and not having to pay for housing.

Then I realized that by not paying for housing that I would end up having two other roommates that I would have to share one bedroom with and then thought yup you get what you pay for. Then the excitement to work at the ranch was slowly drifting away and I had no interest in doing that job.

I had turned down about half a dozen jobs that I applied for to just work there. Don't get me wrong I regret nothing about the choices that I have made and I am so content with what I decided to do this summer.

I just have realized that if you know what you want and how you want it that you can pretty much be rather selective in what your end choice will be for the summer. The ranch sounded exciting but with them not caring that I didn't have a break between jobs made me realize that it wouldn't be a good fit for me along with them giving me two other roommates and so on, I knew I made the right choice.

I am staying at the ski resort where I spent the winter. Housing is not the best but the people that I work for are really amazing and down to earth, you do your job you have no issues. I love the atmosphere and I think I made a great choice and finding a job for the winter will be easy as well since most likely I will stay on for the winter which will be my 2nd winter there and 7th winter in the ski industry.

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Know thyself. Good for you for doing what felt right for you.

This is true for a lot of things, but the longer you do seasonal, the easier it gets to read through the lines and other BS.  I feel that you tend to learn more about yourself in seasonal work than non-seasonal work.  The better you know yourself, the better decisions one makes.  Last summer I made the mistake of second guessing my instincts and ignored potential red flags.  I paid the price, as it was a terrible experience that continues to haunt me.  I will never make that mistake again.  

Yes, there are a lot of seasonal employers out there that take advantage of people.  From what you described I'm thinking perhaps you left out a few details as at first it simply sounds like you had a change of heart as opposed to actually being taken advantage of.  

The level of selectivity one has in any job market is relative to the marketability of the skill set you bring to the table, as well as how you present yourself and sell yourself, so to speak, during the interview.

Good luck with your current job.  It's been my experience that getting a summer job in a ski town isn't always easy, so you're definitely doing something right.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service