Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Greetings all.

I'm in a dead end job. My stress level is at a boiling point.

Could a person survive working only seasonal jobs.

I'm not retired and I don't have a pension to fall back on.

Please advise

Thanks!

Mark

Views: 10294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no perfect situation in the seasonal world. Being flexible is the biggest element to working in this world. I do think that most people don't realize how much money most of us can save doing this. As long as you think about the next season and where you want to be you will fine. We are not "normal" people and don't want to be. We work crazy hours when the season is in swing, we all live and work together in most cases, and have relationships with each other that last. I have friends still from my first seasonal job in 2000. I do understand why you want to keep your current job. Jobs with benefits and an income over 35K a year are not waiting for most people anymore and if you do find you be spending that on just on you living expenises in the town you have to live in. The NPS would be a good route for you; but that's seasonal at first as well and you won't get rich with that either. Servers and drivers do far better at the resorts as far as money earned, but again money isn't the driving force behind this lifestyle. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to make the jump. Get a RV and get out there. Good luck.

Hi

Hi Peter-

This is the information I was hoping to find. I'm pressed for time but I would find out more.

Sounds like you have sound experience in this are. Is there a good time to converse with you on Coolworks?

Mark

Hi Peter!
I'm in Missouri. St. Louis to be exact

Got any crawfish pie for dessert?

So Mark! What have you done? Find anything or still kicking the can!

Hi Ed!!!

Well funny you should ask. May 18th I resigned from 16 year career as a graphic designer with the newspaper. I'm currently seeking career opportunities.

Seasonal jobs are not out of the question. I'm afraid that will have to wait until next Spring.

It's already getting late in the season for this year and I have a house to unload. I'll probably start applying for the next Spring season this Fall.

How are you Ed?

Mark

I am at a seasonal job at the moment in Manitoba, Canada. North Haven Resort, a fly in open less than three months in the summer. You can see them on YouTube or facebook. I would recommend it if you don't get island fever. Apply for 2013 and fly in by sea plane. Meals and room provided. 5 star fishing resort. Thirty guests at any given time and thirty workers. I have a private room in a bunkhouse cabin. I leave in two weeks and return to my job in Florida which is slow in the summer.

I hear ya Mark. Back when I started working on guest ranches I had no bills, no house payment and floated from ranch to ranch because they provided all of the meals, a good place to put my stuff and sleep, shower and do a job that I love to this day. I didn't get rich by any means but by getting experience I was able to get a management job at a guest ranch and make a higher wage and have a house provided to me I could live in rent & utility free. I had some ranches that paid me low and worked me hard and once I figured out they were essentially using me I moved on. No job wherever it is located is worth getting stressed over. Visit Ranch World, Cool Works and Ranch Web to see what is open. Mind you that guest ranches begin hiring around the end of December onward. I know this because I used to work for them so I know when they started to seek employees. However, now is fine to get that resume to them using their e-mail addy listed on their websites. Google up "colorado dude and guest ranch association" and "dude ranch association" to get some ranch contact info. You can also look up Arizona Dude Ranch Assoc. as their season starts when the winter begins and other guest ranches are closing. Now as far as making it on seasonal pay, that in my opinion isn't going to happen because most do not pay enough for someone with a house payment and car payment to make ends meet. If you want to make some good money then look for permanent year round employment on guest ranches. Those jobs pay a lot better and most come with benefits also especially if you have a vital skill set that they look for such as, cooks, wranglers, management & maintenance. A little known fact about guest ranches for those of ya who don't know. Most newer owners of guest ranches will not make a profit within the first 5 to10 years! Yes that is true! This is why many do not pay that much and entice new employees with the bonus at the end of the year along with giving them housing & meals. But if you figure up what you'll be pocketing its not bad. My best advice is stay away from those that want you to pay for housing & meals, thats simply being greedy and there is no reason for them to do that. Thats my best advice for you. I wish you luck as well !!!!!

You can as long as you don't have a lot of debt that includes credit cards, gas cards, car payments and house payments. 

I do O.K.. Actually, I generally have more money than most people I know and work a whole lot less. A whole lot happier too. Between jobs I find places such as the town of Hot Springs Montana to hold up in. Places where the rent is CHEAP, like 400 a month for a two bedroom house. I have also been doing this for the majority of the last 13 yrs, so I know the spots to work and the spots to hold up between jobs. For example, I worked at a place in glacier a few years ago, very short season, 10 1/2 weeks, as a dishwasher. I made a little over ten grand, 2,200 of which was cash tips. I moved to Hot Springs Montana for six months, didn't have to work and had a bunch of money left from that job when I started my next job in the smokies  the following spring. Will I have money to retire on? TTEEHHHAAA. Most likely not, unless I take a job with a corp. such as xanterra, deleware north companies, forever resorts, etc., and I have found these concession companies to be more miserable than a 9-5 city job. For me it's all about being happy though. One Life to Live and this isn't going to be the soap opera!

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service