Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there are problems when it comes to seasonal employment in National Parks but the author of the article makes it sound like a work camp the Joads worked at in The Grapes of Wrath.

Many of the points made in the article are correct, but the spin on the facts are a bit much. The fact is that it gives the employees of the locations an opportunity to save money which doesn't happen for many people in today's world. I guess it's so much better working a full-time job rather than work seasonally. I guess the author had a negative experience working seasonally and now wants to vent about nothing. Every workplace as it's own issues and it's up to us to either work thru that or find a better fit. That's the best thing about this work is that the employee has the choice. 

Hi Clayne!  I really wasn't that impressed.  Partly because I clicked on some of his other blog entries...I could understand the plight of the farmworker, but somewhere around the hardships of the hospital workers or maybe the plight of the college professor I started to think maybe the next one would be about the poor lottery winners because there was all that money gambled that wasn't included in the prize.

Comparisons between similar jobs outside of national parks in the hotel/restaurant/tourism industry would be much more informative.

Well, I haven't started my job at Yellowstone yet but I don't think it can't be much different than my other jobs. I'll be working fast food at the park. I've worked fast food before working long hours, short staffed, no breaks, at minimum waged but I survived. I'm sure my job at Yellowstone will be somewhat the same. If people have an issue with it, then maybe working seasonal jobs isn't for them.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service