Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Did Xanterra lose Death Valley? Or just part of it? I saw an ad for another company advertising for there. 

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like they just lost part of it.  Out of curiosity, I went to the Xanterra employment website, and they were still listing jobs for Furnace Creek.
xanterra owns furnace creek ranch and inn, and also all the land from the inn to the golf coarse , the park service has scottys castle and stovepipe wells so they would be the ones that have a new concessionair.

yea, i read the same thing. they lost at least part of the contract for the park. I was also under the impression that Xanterra was just the consesionaire and not the owner of funace creek. How would they own part of a national park?

yep they only have furnace creek ranch and inn, its different national park no gates, state police patrol the hwys , they just lost scottys castle in jan 2010 when i was there, i believe they let them buy because of money , calif could not keep up with the upkeep and it was going to close down. strange place out there. lol
Furnace Creek was grandfathered in.They bought the land before Death Valley became a National Park,long before.I have worked two years running at StovePipe Wells from 2005 til 2007,then transfered to Yellowstone.
I WORKED THERE WHEN CHANGE OVER TOOK PLACE THAT HAPPENED IN 1999
Xanterra owns Furnace creek Ranch/Inn. They did operate Stovepipe wells until January of 2011. A company named "Ortega Family Enterprises" took over, which also has operations at Muir Woods National Monument, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, White Sands National Monument, and Bandelier National Monument.
I was wondering about working here as well for at least the winter time.I've applied with Xanterra and the Stovpipe wells group Death Valley.Each sounds like a fun place to be for the winter.Not to warm or to cold just right I think.I was wondering how hard it might be to get into the Stovpipe well place,any one know?
I'm not sure about stovepipe wells, Though it does get chilly here. The wind is what makes it seem even colder.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service