Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

I'm thinking about closing my business and seeking a National Park job with a concessionaire during the 2019 spring to fall season.  First, I need to do some financial planning.  If anyone can give me a rough estimate of an hourly or weekly wage for an entry level position, I'd appreciate it.  I'm thinking I might like working as a clerk in a store, front desk in a hotel, or a tour guide.  I've tried to find salary information on job descriptions, but that information does not seem to be included.  Thanks in advance.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, and welcome to the best site to find information as well as find your seasonal job. In answer to your question, most entry level seasonal jobs, especially those in National Parks with a consession operator are paid at the State minimum wage. You can find the minimum wage on a States web page. Also, if you are in a National Park they work under special rules such as they do not pay over-time wages until you go over 56 hours in a week. I can't say how often that happens but I worked in a supervisory position (which pays a few bucks more per hour and usually has some added perks) but where I was, over-time was a no-no! Not that it couldn't happen, but the supervisor better have a great reason for it happening. 

Another point to keep in mind is what you are getting with the job--you have to consider this as a part of your compensation. Many positions include housing and meals included or at very low cost to the employee. In addition there are many activities available to the employee. One last but important perk is that you are living and working in a place most people can't afford to live or they pay an incredible amount of money to visit and vacation in. While you won't have a 2 or 3 week vacation in one wack--you'll have more than that in 2 or 3 days off from work to enjoy your location!

good luck!

Thanks for your help, Don

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2018   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service