Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

This is my first year planning to do seasonal work, and my wife and I have been offered a job at a National Park.

We have one concern, and I'm wondering if anyone else may know what your companies are doing, or what your plans are in case of this:

What if the government shutdowns on April 8 and does not re-open for the summer?  We're worried about leaving our jobs for this, and aren't sure what to do.

Seems likely the budget that wasn't passed by Oct 1. of last year won't be dealt with in the next week, and if so a partial shutdown including the NPS seems likely for at least a little while.

Any thoughts? Anyone still around that was doing this in 1995 during the last one?

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I already have a hike/camping trip planned for April 13-15, down into the Grand Canyon. If we get shutdown it will just mean more time to play in the canyon for me.

I wouldn't bank on that... here's how it went down last time (1995)

http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/debt_limit/11-18/canyon/index.html

JP~I would not be a visitor at GCSR. I have lived here ever since March 2007. Employees got to stay in the park in 1995, when the gov't had its shut-down.
ahh..got ya, my bad. That would be very cool then for you. Hiking the grand canyon without all the tourist would be sweet.

TIME is saying it looks like shutdown is inevitable, at least for a short period of time.   http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2011/04/05/are-we-heading-for-a-gov...

I guess I will be camping in the National Forest . Is this not the height of incompetence ? A lot of posturing and sound bites
Amen
If we are working on federal land or for the federal goverment I dont think I should have to worry. Or am I wrong? I will be in West Yellowstone out side park boundries.
they are saying potentially 800,000 federal workers will be sent home. Backpack is not guaranteed.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service