Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I just wanted to clarify that I by no means was planning on carrying it around with me while working or in the dorms. I was going to keep it disassembled in my trunk, and only carry it while hiking. I guess I'm just more interested in what would happen to a person if they in fact had to use their weapon on an animal in a last resort situation. Like repercussions, etc.
Here's an example of animal attacks inside parks: Between 2005 and 2009, Glacier visitation totaled 9.8 million.During that timeframe, three visitors were injured by grizzly bears — none of them fatally. Bear spray was not used by any of those three individuals. The Park highly recommends bear spray over weapons use. Studies have shown that bear spray is an effective deterrent in the rare event of a bear attack in nearly every instance.

I have only heard of really dangerous attacks in areas where cities are encroaching in wildlife areas...like in the Kenai peninsula for example. To prove you were in that much danger...it must be life/death not just harmed...would be very difficult. If you did use it without that proof would probably fall under the poaching laws...which have a large judicial variance. Somewhere between a few hundred dollars and several thousand dollars.

Anywhere that employees use in the property area could be considered the workplace...including the parking lots. Again this law doesn't change much. It only means that in those states where people are allowed to carry, can carry into the park without breaking the law.
Kieth and Drew... I appreciate your opinions and agree with both of you.
This new law is nothing but a "tokenism". In other words, the amendment to the existing law will not change the mindsets of those who carry weapons into the park, whether or not they are licensed to carry. Unless, as one pointed out, each vehicle (or person on foot) is searched at the gate. The keyword is "loaded" so it has always been legal to carry a firearm (in most parks) for as long as it is not armed or loaded and one has a licencse to carry. Now people can bring "loaded" weapons into national parks as the result of this new amendment. Since random searches are rarely perfromed, the sense of security among the residents of each park will not change. Weapons are considered contraband in dorm areas but there is not a single employer that requires a search on your luggages and belongings once you arrive. This should not even be widely debated as there are few here who straddle both sides of the fence. You can't indicate that you are not comfortable with the new law and on your other post, you advocate shooting wildlife for self-defense. Be a man and make a stand!
It really doesn't matter since it appears I can't have a gun with me anyways, even in my car in the parking lot. I still believe having a gun as a last resort for defending yourself, whether it's against a person or a wild animal, isn't a bad idea. At the same time, I'm not going to force my opinions on to other people. I'm here to make friends, not enemies Frank =) And, I'm definitely not comfortable with the new law. There are too many question marks regarding safety with wild animals and what would happen if I was forced to shoot one. So would it be worth it for me to bring a gun with me? In my opinion, no. Not as an employee. As a tourist, maybe.
throwing another "what if" out there, but what about non lethal bean bag rounds? I mean you'd have to hike lugging a shotgun around for this to be an option, but seems like a better alternative than lethal rounds to scare or kill. I'm just throwing out more variables that probably make this topic even more confusing, and I'm not really considering doing this, just curious how it would change the legal situation, as well as the safety of both people and animals (however tiny the chance of an attack is). It also would seem kinda silly packin a shotgun on your wilderness treks, even if it meant the ability to defend yourself without being an animal death dealer, with animals that most likely won't even attack you.
maybe we should just go paleolithic, and defend ourselves with pointy sticks : P
Chefness, again you don't know what you are talking about and you get offended when you get criticized. You don't feel comfortable with the new law (amendment to the already existing law) but you agree with the reasoning behind it. The fact is, you don't know the reasoning behind the change.This is part of what you wrote "This law is meant for those who wish to have a sense of security as they roam about". You are dead wrong! Our sense of security will not be altered because of the change, unless NPS makes it mandatory to search every indivdual entering the park. The new NPS measures you were talking about is nothing but your own speculation. On your other post, you indicated that a legal battle is better than getting mauled or killed by a wildlife animal. That is what you call "talking both sides of your mouth".

Are you even familiar with the new law? Let me tell you the reasoning for the amendment. The purpose of the new law is to match the existing State Laws where national parks are located. And another reason for the change is to restore our Second Amendment Rights.

Read the facts first, behind the change, before you spew your pointlessly unwarranted opinion.
here is a guide for this topic for yellostone... as far as gun laws
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
Thank you! This answers a lot of questions that I had.
A few more comments on this topic for those of you that are interested -

Yellowstone Gun Rules: You Can Pack, But You Can't Shoot:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14794153

I am not here to comment on the particulars in this issue. I am not a hunter nor do I own a gun. But, I have lived in Cody, Park County, Wyoming next to Yellowstone National Park for the last 16 years. 53% of Yellowstone is located in Park County. 96% of Yellowstone is located within the State of Wyoming. We have to enter into the Park just to get to most of our neighboring westerly, southerly and northerly cities or else have to circumvent the Park to the tune of 3-6 hours of additional travel time. We are not given any special resident stickers, discounts, etc. to cross the highways that traverse Yellowstone, sometimes making this quite frustrating. Likewise, it can sometimes be hard to understand how laws enacted by the federal government on the East coast for lands in the western United States have a decidely different impact between a full-time local resident and a visiting tourist or worker. I am from New York City originally and there is a completely different mindset here than back east. It is hard for lawmakers. let alone anyone, to understand the differences unless they are experienced first hand.

Again, I am not advocating a side here but just adding a local point of view. I do not want to shoot any wildlife let alone be shot be a human :-)
It won't change anything, except in the rare case of somebody getting too close to a bear or moose because they think their 9mm will protect them. To carry a firearm in a National Park you have to have the same license that you do to carry one anywhere else. The people who have these are pumping gas next to you, shopping for slacks one rack over and riding on the bus with you. Why on earth would anyone be more likely to get injured when the gun owner leaves densely populated areas and heads out to the middle of nowhere. If anything this law will just allow firearms to leave densely populated areas and move into the sparsely populated forests; the people who carry in the park are the ones who carry all of the time anyway. I imagine some of you are picturing pick-ups with heavily laden gun racks, hauling ass down a trail with beer cans sailing out of the window and/or people getting drunk around a campfire and shooting their guns in the air, but the majority of people who have permits do so because they respect guns, take owning them seriously and probably had to jump through some hoops to get their permit: safety courses, criminal background checks and lots of moolah. No, you should be a hundred times more worried about who has a gun while you're shopping for groceries. The guy who's taken the NRA certified safety class, has no history of violence, and carries a .40 in his glove box because he's hauling his wife and kids across the country to the middle of nowhere with lots of wild animals does not bother me in the least.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service