Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fate isn't death, fate has it he is still here and was bluff charged twice. Standing in a prone position shooting at large animals with a small calibar gun that is intent on bluff charging might not work.
So, let me ask you this. Lets say the bear decides that he wants you for lunch. You are already aware that this isn't a bluff charge, and the bear spray did not ward off the bear. Would you rather have to defend yourself with your bare hands, or have a small caliber gun where you at least have a chance? I'll take the second choice, instead of leaving my fate up to the bear.
A small caliber weapon? Well maybe with some of the smaller blacks, but they tend to run with just some noise making. If it's a grizz of any size, anything smaller than a .44 preferably a Mag would be like shooting a steroid-stuffed bodybuilder with a BB gun.
True. But there are other things in the park that could potentially harm you. Im just using my own experiences with a bear as an example. Granted, a bear is a pretty bad example when talking about using a handgun hahaha. Still, I would rather TRY to play it safe than sorry.
I mean there are other methods of effectively scaring animals away than shooting a gun so why put yourself through the legal proceedings. If you discharge a gun to scare an animal away in a national park it is going to be treated as a major event. Even if you didn't hit it or didn't even intend to hit it you might have shot up in the air or shooting blanks it doesn't matter you still shot a gun.
Just wondering, since this will have an effect on whether i bother bringing a gun or not, but do you have a source for what you are claiming?
What I'am basically saying is just because you are licensed to carry a gun doesn't mean you can use it and if you do your going to answer for it. If you need that sourced, well... I'am not against guns, just research it out and know the gun laws in the area where you are going to be.
That's the problem, is doing the research. Too many gray areas still. Can't really find information right now. I do know, that Ohio's permit is recognized according to my instructor. If there is such a huge amount of trouble with defending yourself against animals, I wonder why they even passed this regulation in the first place? It seems to me like I might as well leave my gun at home with all these question marks still.
It would be pretty hard to prove you were in that much danger. Anything else that can do that much harm will give you plenty of warnings and would still rather flee than fight. Most bears will too. If an employer has any hint that you have one on property you'll most likely be history. If any manager sees it (and if it's buried, it's no good...an animal would most likely attack if it's surprised), if a roommate is a little upset and knows, if anyone remembers reading this topic....

I own a Ruger .44 Mag Super Blackhawk. I'm getting good at using it. I'll be heading up to Alaska, where attacks are believed more readily. But the only way I'd consider it safe is to keep it locked in a case in Arizona.
I just wish there was stuff set in stone, other than us guessing as to what is going to happen and how the companies are going to handle it.
Guns in the workplace is never a good idea. There are not many employers anywhere that would not consider that immediate grounds for dismissal. It wouldn't matter if you had a permit for general areas or not. For your seasonal employment, that means anywhere in its area, including housing. None of the major companies will allow it.

There are some hunting lodges and ranches that have shooting as an activity where employees might be able to have a gun. (Like my Arizona job) But these are not in the parks usually, and they are always small mom and pop's.

The law is because there are many people, especially in the west and Alaska that have guns in their vehicles and sometimes bags. They carry these mainly for the times when they are miles in no where, hours away from any law officer, with some possibility of running into some unsavory people. (Meth labs, motorcycle gangs, militia nuts...) It's for these visitors of a day or two and not mean an automatic illegal act. It's certainly not meant to cover any act of actual use, especially when non-humans are involved.
I don't know. wouldn't want to find out either

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service