Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Hi everyone!

I am a 25 year old woman who is looking to make a big change. I am currently stuck in a job that I hate and would love to follow my dream of being a cook who has worked everywhere. I'd love to start by getting into seasonal work as I would love to travel. I'm up for an adventure and am open to jobs pretty much anywhere. My big problem is I have no idea where to start. I've been doing research and am having a hard time sorting through it all. 

I'd love to get your opinions and and advice!

Thanks in advance guys any information and advice would mean a lot

-Stephanie

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also a place that includes room and board or low rent room and board is what I'm looking for.

The biggest part of your new life will be the fact that is just that.....a new life. Seasonal work as it's pros and cons, but for some it's great. If you are in good health and want to give up the normal life it's for you. It also depends on your experience and where you want to go. They have some great reviews and advise on this site so weight everything before you make the jump to the next place. Many places to work for the summer so you will have your pick really. Make sure that you factor in the cons to this move as well and if you are really for them. Good Luck.

Hi Stephanie, I have had the pleasure of working with some great chefs at the ranches I have worked at. I guess it matters what your background is, but I would encourage you to check out the "higher end" guest ranches if you are looking to learn more about the culinary arts. Pay tends to be better at those places too. But if your just wanting a steady paycheck and a simple menu working inside the parks systems puts you in the prime locations for play-time! This is a great website for what your looking for, I bet about half the jobs posted on here are in the kitchen.

First - choose a location you would like to go... then find out who is the concessionaire for that location.  Fill a out a job application (they are being accepted now for the 2013 season) and get ready for an interesting interview.  Ask questions here about the different companies of potential places for you to work.  Go and enjoy a change of life - it will change how you think about everything else.  You will make lifelong friends - and love it or hate it.  I loved it and am looking forward to doing it again for the 2013 season.  

I can recommend Glacier (Glacier Park Inc) and Jackson Lake Lodge.... Good luck.

Yeah, the Teton Lodge is a good option. The management is professional, the food is decent, the activities are free to employees, and it's the tetons.

Oh, and I think they upgraded their Wireless. The lodge was ok. Coulter Bay had spots you had to stand in at the right angle to be able to use your cell.

I don't know if they added Flagg ranch to the network. It's a new acquisition.  But the GM at Flagg is a fantastic fellow. Care rolling down the ranks should be good.

Take your camera. Then if you wanted, you could have your winter position set up before you even left.

Be warned. Most of the winter they put in front of you is in Keystone. While Keystone is a perfectly nice palce to work, It's.... well..... pretty freakin oh-my-god cold. It's what? 12,000ft? Probobly not, but still even above Breck(enridge).

Mac

Hi Stephanie.

A cook, huh? Well aint you in luck!

Hmm. I know. With all these options, it's hard to decide what to do first.

So.... Where do you wanna go? The desert? The Coastal states? Mountains? Lakes?

You're in the right place. The question is, where do you feel like hangin out this summer?

I glanced over to the right of this page and saw that the Great Chinook Lodge at Glacier Bay national Park is hiring. Wanna go to Alaska? Montana? Huh. I wonder where that is...

It's all up to you babycakes ;}

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have bee accepted to work at the copper river lodge in Alaska! I'm super excited to go. Now all I have to do is look for a winter job so that I can keep this seasonal thing going.

uh oh.

now your hooked.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service