Thanks for being here! The eight of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your jobs in great places. Join us for Chat on Monday nights at 9pm ET / 6pm PT. :-)

Hello everyone=

I recently joined the American Red Cross, took the exams and was deployed to North Carolina to the Lumberton area that was the hardest hit by Hurricane Matthews. I spent two weeks there in two different shelters and did a variety of jobs. I met the most amazing people from all over the USA and beyond, had the most rewarding experience considering all the human suffering I witnessed, It was the first time I flew so got that out of the way.I worked long hours and with some moderate stress. I kept thinking the whole time this is sort of like seasonal jobs.The only bummer, and what I need some insight with is: I did not sleep during my time there. I had no issue with working hard and long hours. But sleeping on a cot, in a room full of other amazing people about 30 in main room of the church the shelter staff lived in, other smaller rooms had cots as well. but the sounds I heard all night ( use your imagination) just made it impossible for me to sleep, I took Melatonin and used ear plugs which did not help at all. I guess this is making think of the sleeping situations one gets with seasonal jobs. I loved my experience but don't think I could sacrifce my health for it and this was only 2 weeks, I know it't not exactly like cool work jobs but similar in some ways. I am not blaming it all on the environment, I tend to be a light sleeper, and have difficulty had home too at times. Just thought you experiences seasonal workers could add some much  needed insight. Thank you much.

Mike

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First....thanks for volunteering.

Next, your experience would be on the extreme end of housing.  I have heard of a few ranches that have old-style bunkhouses.  I have also heard of a few dorm situations where large rooms might have 3-4 bunk beds.

By far the most common arrangement is one roommate.

In my personal experience, I have had my own room more than half the time, but share a bathroom.  I'd also have to add that most of my experiences have been outside the national park concessionaire system.

Hi Keith, thanks for your insights.

Yeah, Red Cross said this was not a typical situation but others said it was typical. I hope to give it another chance. The bunk was about a foot off the ground so had to just sort of role off. Some cots made bubble-wrap popping sounds everytime someone shifted, thankfully I didn't have one of those. With all the other sounds it was a symphony of sounds all night. :) Still, I loved my experience overall,

So what jobs have you had outside the national park concessionaire system and do those have better sleeping arrangements?

Thanks again, Mike

RSS

© 2016   Created by Cool Works tm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service