Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Hello everyone=

I recently joined the American Red Cross, took the exams and was deployed to North Carolina to the Lumberton area that was the hardest hit by Hurricane Matthews. I spent two weeks there in two different shelters and did a variety of jobs. I met the most amazing people from all over the USA and beyond, had the most rewarding experience considering all the human suffering I witnessed, It was the first time I flew so got that out of the way.I worked long hours and with some moderate stress. I kept thinking the whole time this is sort of like seasonal jobs.The only bummer, and what I need some insight with is: I did not sleep during my time there. I had no issue with working hard and long hours. But sleeping on a cot, in a room full of other amazing people about 30 in main room of the church the shelter staff lived in, other smaller rooms had cots as well. but the sounds I heard all night ( use your imagination) just made it impossible for me to sleep, I took Melatonin and used ear plugs which did not help at all. I guess this is making think of the sleeping situations one gets with seasonal jobs. I loved my experience but don't think I could sacrifce my health for it and this was only 2 weeks, I know it't not exactly like cool work jobs but similar in some ways. I am not blaming it all on the environment, I tend to be a light sleeper, and have difficulty had home too at times. Just thought you experiences seasonal workers could add some much  needed insight. Thank you much.

Mike

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First....thanks for volunteering.

Next, your experience would be on the extreme end of housing.  I have heard of a few ranches that have old-style bunkhouses.  I have also heard of a few dorm situations where large rooms might have 3-4 bunk beds.

By far the most common arrangement is one roommate.

In my personal experience, I have had my own room more than half the time, but share a bathroom.  I'd also have to add that most of my experiences have been outside the national park concessionaire system.

Hi Keith, thanks for your insights.

Yeah, Red Cross said this was not a typical situation but others said it was typical. I hope to give it another chance. The bunk was about a foot off the ground so had to just sort of role off. Some cots made bubble-wrap popping sounds everytime someone shifted, thankfully I didn't have one of those. With all the other sounds it was a symphony of sounds all night. :) Still, I loved my experience overall,

So what jobs have you had outside the national park concessionaire system and do those have better sleeping arrangements?

Thanks again, Mike

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired with the CoolWorks Journal.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email greatjobs@coolworks.com for more information. 

Events

CoolWorks Links

© 2017   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service