Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

My parents don't want me to go to Yellowstone this summer. I'm 20 and feel like I should make my own decisions and go if I want. They said they can't stop me but they are trying to talk me out of it. I have to attend a family meeting about it tonight. Any tips on trying to get through to them? How did you guys present wanting to go do seasonal work to your parents?

Views: 1210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Honey- I am sorry to hear that. :( Perhaps they will come to adjust to it after they have some time to think it over. 

Hope every works out for you and your family. 

I'm sorry to hear that, Kiersten.  I think that you're brave for venturing away from home.  When your folks see what an amazing time you're having, perhaps they'll change their minds.  Many have ventured, and many have gained.  You've certainly got our support. - Q

Well, my mom gave me this sob story about how things were hard for her when she lived in San Fracisco when she was my age and things were hard and she weas hungry. She doesn't want the same thing to happen to me. I'm honestly sick of them trying to talk me out of it. It's getting old.

Kiersten- just keep reassuring her. You at least will be in a place where meals are part of the deal- so you won't be hungry! She obviously worries about you. And I agree with aggie- be realistic about your expectations. And your parents will always love you- trust me. 

Best of luck- and do look me up at Lake Hotel when you get there!

Here's my take Kiersten.  If you are 20 years old, then you're old enough to make these decisions for yourself.  You have to leave the nest sometime.  As for seasonal work....don't be fooled into thinking this is a career move.  Seasonal is a really tough place to build a 401K, get great health benefits, find a spouse, ect. ect.  Not that it can't happen, but it is definitely tougher than a big city career move.  College is a toss up.....it's so darn expensive these days I'm not sure racking up a huge debt so young in life is the best move. You might look at online schooling which seems to be gaining traction lately.....and can be done from anywhere (BTW my son earned a Master of Education taking online courses.....so it does work).  If you are successful, or if you struggle, your parents will take you back if they truly love you.....that's what parents do.   Good Luck with your journey.....just make smart choices.

I am currently taking online classes and paying tuition out pocket. I almost have an associates degree. I don't want a big city job with lot's of money. That's not my thing. I'm a very simple person who likes to live life on the bare minimum away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I'm not ready to settle down and start a family yet and get married so a few years of seasonal jobs might be good for me. If Yellowstone works out, I might stay or try Glacier or Denali.

have them come down for an vist to see how u are doing you guys get great discounts for familys  see how they like it that could help them change there mind about everything 

Haha. Maybe. If I can convince them to find a pet sitter for our farm and spend money to fly 2,400 miles across the country....

I say Kiersten, good for you for knowing what does and does not work for you at your age!  I did not know myself that well when I was young and made a lot of mistakes because of it.....good for you!  Only you can know deep down what is right for you when you get down to it.....46Rob

I think for most of us there were varying opinions from our family and friends on the decision to do seasonal work / lifestyle.  And while no one had 'control' those opinions mattered.  It sounds like your parents are projecting some fears, but I think it's through love and caring about your well being.  There will be chances to move on to another gig after this one, if that's what you decide you want to do.  There will be at least one job fair in Yellowstone and if not there, winter places are usually looking in Aug/Sep.

In my experience, the ones least supportive when I first told them are now, after several years, are the most excited.  The ones that were the most supportive in the beginning I have now lost most contact with...either they thought I'd get it out of my system, or they didn't like seeing my often changes while their lives remained the same ol' same ol' all the time.  Your parents will probably come around.  Actually I've seen it's easier to get that next gig when the option of just going to a comfortable home has been limited.  Good luck, and keep us posted on your seasonal life.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. And I'll keep everyone updated!

I admire you for wanting to try this at such a young age.  Look at it as a gap for finding some adventure.  Assure you mom that you will be okay.  if she needs further assurance, have her write me (txann2007@aol.com).  I'll tell the truth about what I've seen for the younger folks in the seasonal jobs (I've been an HR Officer several times).  I also encourage you to finish your degree and then look to working for the Department of Interior.  You would be a fine fit for that group especially since you want a simple life living among some of the best places on earth.  

The concessionaires feed their employees very well in the national parks and I doubt you will ever go hungry while working at Yellowstone.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service