Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a quick reality check.  This is all new to me and I'm seeing mixed info about the program and everything.  

I'm wanting to become a seasonal... starting next summer I'm looking at Yellowstone.  From there I want to do winter at a ski resort in Colo.  Then onto another summer in Yosemite, and winter again at a ski resort in Cali or Utah in 2013 and so on.  

I'm 30 years old, single and have nothing holding me down.  No property, no car, no debt.  I've been living and working in Glendale AZ for the last 7 years and have Hotel and Restaurant Management experience.  Most current within the hotel industry.  I'm finish an online degree in Hotel Restaurant Management in about a year.  While it would be great to obtain a position to better my resume and career future, money is not important to me and I'm up for the best job I can acquire. 

I'm really looking for the opportunity to adventure and experience what all these places have to offer.  I love the outdoors, photography and journaling.  I'm looking forward to the opportunities of getting out and exploring while meeting some amazing people and making great friends.  

Am I dreaming or is this all really possible through coolworks and what seasonal jobs have to offer? 

Comments, suggestions, tips, advice? 

Views: 1176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Matthew. I also thought about getting an RV or trailer. Between the two I think the trailer would have been best. I thought about it for a couple years. While there were some excellent reasons to get one specially if you did not want to get stuck in a dorm somewhere it would have been great. Although part of working in places is getting to know other people so living in a trailer would have been a little more secluded. The main reason I decided to not get an rv or trailer was the what to do with it between places... I mean you can really only park it for so long at a grocery store or other similar parking area before they get you to move it. Then if there was a koa/campground area where it would be probably out of the way somewhere, I figured it would be a burden to just find a place for it if I was not working. It could always be driven to a friends or family's house and parked for a couple months until the next gig. Then again... would they really want it there in their yard. Perhaps they wouldn't mind once but a second time? Assuming that is what I would have ended up doing then the fact of driving it back and forth to locations. I pretty much ruled it out as being more of a burden. I was also thinking what if I got a position where either they had no place to park a trailer or it was limited space and they were already filled up by the regular employee's already. So I decided it best not to get one. I down-sized and it was easier to put a few things in storage and plan ahead of what I would take, etc. Just another thought on the trailer. I am still glad I never got one. 

Yeah, I wondered that about some places.  Whether or not I can park a small RV.  I don't think it's really that much larger than a full size van.  I wouldn't necessarily plan on living out of the RV during the work season.  I would still seek dorm living and what's offered.  The RV is mainly for in between, kind of like you mention and discussed what to do in between jobs and seasons.  I'd just look to park in a national park or head off road a bit in Utah or something to camp and explore.  It would pretty much be home in my off seasons.  From your experience, do you think I may have issues to park my RV at jobs or locations?  Even if I'm not planning on living in it?  I could always park off property and walk or bicycle a mile or more to the job site...

If you get a RV/trailer then why not live in it instead of the dorms? That would be the main purpose to have one in my opinion. 

I can not speak for all seasonal locations but where I went the parking of a trailer would have been in their designated employee trailer area of which they would have charged whatever the rate was. In the dorms parking could have been tight so anything bigger than a normal car I don't think they would have allowed someone to take up 2 or 3 extra spaces.

Then there was a place where they did not even have an employee trailer area. I guess it really depends on what you look into for working and plan on for a few years.

I know for me if I did have a choice between RV or trailer I would pick a trailer. An RV... if it were to breakdown than you are pretty much stuck with it as is. Or if you wanted to go for a ride after you have it all set up than you have to undue everything and secure anything to go. Where as a trailer there are some nice smaller 18-24' out there. I think they would be much easier to park and then you have a vehicle to get around in to take little day trips or go to town if it is far away. Parking it outside and bike riding to the job site could be several miles 20-30 less/more? Biking in would not be feasible probably in most of the seasonal locations due to the remoteness they may be.

By all means it would be great to have a trailer but at the same time a burden specially during the in-between time. The idea of living in somewhere while waiting for the next position to start could be doable but where to go with it for longer than a couple weeks may be an issue depending where you go. Could always pitch a tent if no trailer.

One time I only had one week off and that became quite a busy week of going back home.. visiting and switching stuff around in storage that I wanted to take and leave behind. If I have had a trailer it just my have slowed me down a little.

Basically for me, overall I knew a trailer would be more of a problem then not having one and I still think that. I think it depends though more on the individual but I am glad I did not get stuck with one.

This is all very good to know information.  I don't want to invest thousands into an RV and then it become a burden.  Have you seen or looked into like a small 23 footer?  I mean they're really not much larger than a full size van.  In fact, they are basically a van with bit larger box on it.  From your experience, were there job sites that would not allow you to park this at?  I wouldn't live in it all year long and I would still stay in the dorms.  The RV would mainly be for living in during the off time in between seasons and jobs.  

Hey Matthew,

Check out Toyota Dolphins. They're a great size, 6 or 4 cylinders so better gas mileage, and they're very affordable. I've got a friend that's lived/travelled in one for a few years and loves it. Look on Craig's List. 

I've been looking on craigslist for days now!!! Pricing them and sizing them and everything.  Thanks!!

Hi Matt,

Working seasonal can be quite rewarding. I've been working with Princess up in Alaska for the past 5 seasons and I love it. There will be days that are not the best but the people you meet make up for it. Noticed that you wanted to stay within the lower 48 but there is a lot of summer jobs in Alaska. Princess does have a lot of restaurant opportunities as well as many other but since your credentials are good I'm pretty sure you have a great chance within the company.

One thing I love (but yet had the chance to take advantage of) is the benefits working with Princess. If you ever wanted to see the world Princess would be an ideal place to work. Cruising benefits are just awesome. I currently am booked on a 27 day cruise from Rome to Singapore. Generally our summer contracts are from early May to late September. Enought time to relax and breath before your next seasonal gig for the winter.

Some lodges are starting their application process right now for the 2012 summer season. If you were interested I can give you some more info about Princess Lodges. Like I said I've been working there for 5 season at one lodge which is the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge.

Most Princess Lodges are in remote areas so having a car is quite a luxury but not required. Most lodges have employee oppoortunities to get their employees off property to visit their neighboring town.

Over the past 5 season I have met some amazing people and have made some of the best friends I could ask for, all due to this season work. I hope your search in seasonal work is going good. If you should have any questions feel free to ask. Good Day.

Look at Grand Teton Lodge Company in the Tetons - you will get a job pronto.... and then transfer to Snake River Lodge for the winter.. go for it, it is possible to do all things you want.  You do need a car though no matter what you do as it will make it easier for you to get from place to place.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service