Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

Hi all,
Since I am new to this, can anyone tell me what are the typical times of year you would "start" applying for each season. Ex. Do you apply for a summer job in January, do you apply for a winter job in June or wait till September??? How many months in advance is too early and how close to the season starting is cutting it too close???
Also, what would you say about the year-round jobs? Is it the same or is there a specific time of year for those also?

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For summer employment I have heard of some places accepting applications as early as December but I would say that the middle of January is when you should stary sending in applications. For winter employment I would say this is about the time you should start sending in applications.

Hmm...I've answered this question several times throughout the years, but I'm thinking about changing my standard averages answer.  Short answer is apply when the place says they are searching for applications for the positions.

Yes, the bulk of summer work will be open in January.  But there are places that look starting in November, and by Jan. it's kind of late.  There are also places that don't start looking until March, then Jan is way too early.

Winter has a lot of variables.  There is overall fewer opportunities.  Many positions are filled with only face-to-face interviews, sometimes at job fairs and sometimes you have to travel to the place.  But, yes, there are some openings that are filled with an online search.  There is a wider start to the season, southwest ranch season begins late sept/early Oct..they're looking as early as June.  Some ski areas are open in mid-November, some a month later...so some look according to their anticipated start dates.  Some ski areas start looking as early as July, but only look for a handful of positions, then every couple of weeks place another handful, sliding the amount of apps and concentrating on one area at a time.

Year arounds are handled just like any position in the "real world".  When a position opens, there is room for applications.

As the other two have said about summer it depends on where you are looking to apply really.Most places will start around Jan for summer jobs maybe towards Feb.It is never too early or too late to apply if you are serious about getting out there and seeing / working at your favorite National Park then apply when YOU are ready.I think the year around jobs very and you can apply when ever to what they have open is what I have found about those.Good luck in getting on!

As several people have commented, it depends entirely on the industry and also on the company. For most of the summer seasonal national park jobs and Alaska jobs, it seems that they start advertising the jobs by early January. The larger ski resorts start advertising jobs by August/September and some start holding job fairs at some of the larger national park locations in late August. The ski resorts also hold local job fairs near the resorts in October to hire some of the locals.

One thing that I have noticed is that you can find out on MY Cool Works which resorts (and types of jobs) will provide you with a fun season (lots of time to ski or hike) but they won’t necessarily provide you with a profitable season. Tipped jobs are the ones to look for if you want to make better than average wages, summer or winter.

Most year-round jobs are quite different and are affected by the economy more than seasonal jobs. They don’t have a certain hiring season but hire when someone leaves a position or when business improves in their industry and they need a larger staff.

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service