Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

I'm looking at retiring in about 18 months and seriously thinking about seasonal work in Yellowstone park. I will be 59 years old when I retire. Does anyone have any experience working in Yellowstone they could share?  

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't work in Yellowstone, but I am near the park haha. I work at a Ranch in Montana near the West entrance to Yellowstone. A few reasons you should say yes:

1. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! 

2. The people you meet, whether you work with them or they are guests, are truly amazing. Yes, just like any customer service job you will meet a few bad eggs, but generally they are all very nice. 

3. You will meet people from all over the world.

4. It's typically a seasonal gig, so if it's not your cup of tea, once the season is done you can go somewhere else. 

5.  The adventures you will get to go on are priceless (plus we usually get discounts of some sort). 

Honestly, if your heart is calling you to do it, I say jump. I did and I have been loving it!! Hope this helped a little bit. 

Thank you Lauren

This sounds very positive and it sounds like a fun place to check out.  

I was in your same position in 2009.  I had just left a 34 year career with an Energy Company in Houston and was looking for a complete change.  Working in a National Park (and especially Yellowstone) sounded perfect to me.  A few points to consider ....

1) Working for a concession company you will generally be provided room & board (i.e. no cooking and a shared dorm room), but your hourly pay will be minimal. You do not do this work for the money because most retired folks basically break even or spend a little of their own money depending how (and how often) you entertain yourself.

2) Bring a car and explore during your time off .... Yellowstone is a huge place and there are dozens of things to do and see.  Do NOT sit in your dorm room.

3) Make sure you understand what "split shifts" are because more than likely you will be required to work one.  It is basically a morning and afternoon shift totalling 8 paid working hours separated by up to 4 hours on non-paid idle time.  The concession company has you tied up for 12 hours and pays you for 8.....neat deal for them.

4) After working one summer for a concession company (2009) I realized working as a Park Ranger for the NPS is a better deal.  The pay is better, the housing is better and the management is better.  On the down side you have to buy food and cook for yourself (i.e. bring utensils, small appliances and so forth).  You usually have to share quarters with one or more as well and pay rent based on area "norms".

5) Checkout the summer musicals in West Yellowstone, and the Plains Indian Museum in Cody.  Also take the drive up to the Bears Tooth northeast of the park and see snowboarding in August :)

Good information Aggie thank you.

My goal for looking into a seasonal position other than staying in my small hometown where I grew up, is for the adventure not the money. My thought is for the work I do to fund most if not all of this adventure. I like to fly fish and the thought of fly fishing in Wyoming on my days off sound quite intriguing. I will have my retirement to pay for my home in NY.    

Aggie - That was good information you gave. Just curious, how does one become a Park Ranger? Is there specialized training, etc.?

Thanks, Mike

RSS

© 2017   Created by Cool Works tm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service