Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!

This was taken at Mammoth Hot Springs in yellowstone in 2006. One of my favorite shots!
Since this site doesn't have a way for each group to have their own photo album, I thought it's be nice to post a pic or two now and then... comment or discuss if you'd like. I had a kodakeasy share digital camera 6 mp, at that time. it got some nice photos! I've since upgraded.

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

Favorite photos? That's a leading question.

Of the photos I have posted up here on Coolworks I have about 20 or so that I really like for one reason or another. I'll post some below in individual posts. I don't for a moment think that anyone is going to look through them all. We all know how much fun is it to sit through hours of other people's vacation pictures! I love the internet for exactly that reason. After each trip I cull through the pics and put up a multi audience selection: Some for my Mum, the nice wholesome stuff that I know she wants to see, views, sunsets, friends, etc., even an occasional one of me!; some for my hiking friends, hoping that they will be inspired to do the same hikes someday; some for general audience, and some just for me, because I like them. As well as them being available for anyone to look through at their leisure, or not, as they please, without offending, it also offers me to opportunity, anywhere in the world, as long as I can connect, to look through various sites and find the pictures and memories of past exploits.

For each photo I'll list why I like it, if I can convey such things, and what, if anything, I wish I had done better, bearing in mind that I had probably actually done so, but for some reason the other photo version was not selected as my favorite of the series. I welcome any and all comments and criticism. I do take pictures for me, but I'm always willing to accept that I could have tried something else. There are about 20 photos, so I'll split them into seperate posts. I'll also try to put the camera it was taken with, and the settings, for those that understand such things. Personally I don't really understand all the technicalities, but at least understand how that change the photo. I prefer to use them to manipulate the image on screen, then shoot a couple of different options just to see what happens. The downside to that practice is rarely getting great action shots because I don't know how to quickly set the camera for the best shot. C'est la vie!

Note that one thing that applies to all the pictures is that I have reduced the size and resolution down to very small for web display. I never did see the point in putting up massive pictures on the internet, and when I first started uploading pictures, photo storage space was at a premium. Since those early days I have increased my size and resolution a little, but it is rare for me to post anything larger than 800.

Again, please feel free to criticize, I'm pretty thick skinned!

Sunset on the Gulf: http://my.coolworks.com/photo/florida-trail-9?context=user
Canon Powershot A720 1/125 F4.8 ISO200

This was taken on one of the coldest nights we spent on the FL trail. Cold and windy. My batteries were low anyway, and the camera kept getting cold enough that even new batteries showed almost dead. I took over 50 pictures, but had to keep switching out batteries between the camera and an inside pocket to warm them again!

I love the colors on this one, but isn't that what sunsets are for? I wish there was something in the picture other than water and sky and a distant blob of low lying land. Had I had not been so enthralled by the effect of the sinking sun and taken shots of the same featureless sky and water I would have walked a couple hundred yards back down the road and attempted some pictures with the lighthouse that was behind me. Unfortunately, by the time it occurred to me to do so the light had faded enough that my shots blurry. I was hiking, and didn't have a tripod, so there was not much to do except accept that my vision had been tunnelled by the glory of the moment.
And I LOVE this picture exactly as it is! The dark land in the bottom of the frame gives it some depth and extra interest, Gorgeous colors!
I can totally relate to having "I shoulda done such-and-such" moments. We've all had them!
You've got a real good eye, seeing the pictures you've chosen to post here.

Fang: http://my.coolworks.com/photo/florida-trail-1?context=user
Canon Powershot A720IS 1/100 F4.0 ISO80

I love this little guy. We met him on a lunch break while hiking the FL Trail. He took up residence in my boot while I had them off. Fortunately I always shake out my boots first! He was about the size of a quarter. The photo is heavily zoomed and cropped, but the colours are true. I had never seen a spider with mandibles (or whatever they are) like this, and we nicknamed him Fang. I can't say I had much opportunity to experiment with the camera settings, as soon as he recovered from the boot shaking he took off after my hiking partner in "attack" mode. He was probably just trying to escape or was just curious, but this was the only decent shot I got with him looking right at me and not moving, the remainder are all just blurs of moving spider and even more rapidly moving hiking partner. Ever seen a 6' 2" 200lb+ guy running from an inch long spider? I love the detail of the hairs etc, the iridescence of his coloring, and just the general look of him. The photo took second place in a FL Trail photo contest last year in the Wildlife category. I was beat out by a slightly blurry photo of a FL panther taken by a friend of mine on a hike. I can understand that, most people have no idea that panthers are even out there, let alone see one, and therefore even a slightly blurred picture deserves the credit. I was further behind with a partially blocked view, and never even thought to get the camera out before it was to late!
Fascinating! Great shot! Up-close and personal. Nice composition, too. I've found sometimes my "only-one-chance-to-get-this-shot" pictures have been my very best ones. Sometimes not, lololol.

Sounds like a great moment!!
This is an awesome photo.... Love it..

Buckskin Gulch: http://my.coolworks.com/photo/buckskin-gulch?context=user
Sony F717 1/125 F4.0 ISO100

This was one of the first times I took the 717 out, and was just learning to use the manual settings rather than just accept whatever settings the techie in the factory had decided would be good for auto. It appeals to me because of the angular and geometric lines contrasted with the fuzzy vegetation, and the straight pathway leading into the photo. I think it came out a little dark, but the slower shutter speeds I tried resulted in high overexposure in the upper right where the sun was strong. I've always wondered if I'd adjusted the ISO or F stops instead I'd have gained more clarity and light without the overexposure. I guess I'll get a chance to practice with such things now I'm returning to Az for the summer and will get more chance to practice in deep shade/intense light conditions again.

The memory associated with this one is mainly painful. I had planned a multiple day backpack trip through Buckskin and down the Paria drainage. I fell on the first day and badly sprained my ankle. By noon it was obvious I wouldn't be hiking far and returned to the trailhead. It was a painful hike back. This was taken on one of the many breaks I took in the shade on the way out.
I really like this photo too... man, I've gotten a lot of photos with worse over-exposure for the sunlight than that (meaning, yours is really quite good!)
The wide lattitude between really-sunny and really-dark has sure been tricky for me... I don't always have enough camera ability to compensate. Or maybe it's my blind-spot knowledge-wise. It'd be nice to have an ND filter... but my Canon won't take filters and etc. So I make do with what I am able to get.... still, I have the goal someday of getting those crazy-good difficult shots like the pros do.
Wow. Your picture of the mountains above has totally made me reconsider photo manipulation. In the discussion view I was seeing a distorted top to bottom stretched view of razor sharp edged ridges, and an overall "dolomites" impression. I download the pic and looked at it at native size and shape and now I'm seeing a totally different picture of rounded domes and ledges. The true picture really brings out the redeposition effect on the ledge on the left, and really made me lokk much more closely. Now I see a hugs gaping hole just right of center that looks like the yawning mouth of some rock creature. Any idea what the redeposit is? Sorry, that's the geologist, not photographer in me speaking. BUt if the purpose of a picture is to convey more interest, you did it.

Did you have a polarizer on?
Nope, no polarizer. I'm one that doesn't use photo manipulation, other than basics like crop, zoom, resize, occasionally red-eye or adjusting for fill-flash. I normally crop in-camera...using my zoom. The distorted view is this site, not anything I've done to it....rather irritating imo. I wish there was an "album" option specific to each group.
I'm interested in geology but don't know much about it. So other than saying that these hot springs at Mammoth (which is what that photo is) dry up and re-start from time to time.... would probably account for the redeposition. The hot water coming up through openings beneath eventually plugs up the opening with internal deposits, and thus shifts elsewhere...so some of the hot spring terraces are dry and "dead" looking while others are newly reborn. Change is always happening in Yellowstone.
Well it's a great effect. I visited a massive salt deposit in Turkey once that was covered in the same effect, but with a granular crystalline texture. It was awful for the skin though! That was back in the 70s when they allowed people to scramble all over national monuments and the like, apparently it's ruined now (and I contributed by my presence) and visitors are only permitted to look from behind a fence. Shame, I'd like to go back someday, but also a bigger shame that we didn't think about our actions climbing on it.

I've got Yellowstone on my bucket list, but North Rim came out higher on the list this year. I'll never tire of photgraphing the Grand Canyon, it may not change like YS, but so many millenia of rock erosion will take me a few years to get bored!
I agree, the Grand Canyon is fascinating in its geology, the colors and textures and layers of rock. I myself will never tire of photographing Arches National Park (I've been there dozens of times and taken tens of thousands of photos. That's a very special place to me but then I adore the redrock regions of the Southwest...
:)

RSS

A social network for those who want to compare and share their work and life experiences in great places.

CoolWorks Links

CoolWorks Journals

Real People, Real Stories

Get inspired by the CoolWorks Journals.

Have a story to tell? We'd love to hear about it and perhaps feature it on the blog.

Email feedback@coolworks.com to get started.

CoolWorks Gear

CoolWorks Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, and creeds. There’s one thing that unifies us all together – we’ve made the decision to buck the norm, to live for now, and pursue a lifestyle full of experience and adventures.

Now you can find your tribe and make yourself known with our Made in the USA CoolWorks gear! You’ll know just which kindred spirit to saddle up next to at the Brewpub for some great stories.

Visit the CoolWorks Mercantile!

© 2019   Created by CoolWorks®.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service