So as I ease into the last weekend of my vacation, I am taking the time to do and see all the things I wont get to do again for the next six or seven months. Going out to my favorite restaurant, going to see my GrandMa in the nursing home, stocking up on the great organic espresso from my fav. coffee house. Fishing with my dad. Taking my niece out for a happy meal, against my better judgment but hey she is only 6 and it's hard to say no to her! Spending some quality time with my new best friend, Pants the dog I rescued off the streets of columbia early this march and brought out to my parents farm, where she now has plenty of room to run 'till she flops down, and two people who will always make sure she has plenty of food and lot's of love. But something new to the list this year, besides my buddy Pants, has been coming onto here and interacting with such a wonderful group of amazing people. I have been using CoolWorks to help satisfy my travel urges, and live my dream life for the past 7 years now. (Where does the time go???) And while I was resistant at first, I guess that's part of getting older and more like my father who is perpetually stuck in his ways...I was a big fan of the old message board and initially hesitated getting very involved on here, but did so anyways in order to try and help the people of CoolWorks anyway I could since they have helped me SOOOOO much over the years now. Well I have to say that I have grown to love this new format and style of communicating. It has become almost an addiction of sort's coming on here dozens of times a day to see what people are up to, where they are going, what they have to say etc etc...So here is my list of the reasons I love this place.
1. Genuine People. It seems to be the only place I have found online that has nice, honest people interacting with one another. I don't see all the things that I do on the other sites and message boards that I frequent. I have never seen anyone make fun of someone for asking a question, no one picks on somebody because of spelling or grammar which is totally unlike 99% of the internet. People are free to ask anything they want and there is always someone around to offer sound advice and true experience, also a rarity online these days. And for people like Rick Peterson who always greets folks, and provides great advice on the seasonal world. And in my opinion has THE BEST employer presence on here. He has done a lot for the folks that are coming up to work for his lodge, and I applaud him for going that extra mile and going to such lengths to promote employee morale and get folks informed, excited, and connected to their new job. People like that are what make this site such a success in my eyes. (even if he is a Brewer's fan! j/k)
2. Spam Free. I have never received a single piece of spam as a result of posting my email address or anything. The site seems to be BOT free, which should qualify you for some kind of an award in my opinion. Also no spy -ware or mal-ware has been installed on my shiny new laptop as a result of visiting your site. So thanks for making this a safe and reliable site to be a member of.
3. Camaraderie. I love, love, love being able to meet and talk with people I am going to work with before we head up there. Was always able to do this on the old Board, but this site takes it to a whole new level. Putting faces to names, and the ability to kind of "peek" into other's lives has been great fun for me.
4. The in-between time. The time between seasonal jobs is always great at first. Sleep late, stay up late, be lazy and things like that. But then after I secure my next gig I am hit with a giant case of the now whats? I am usually full of anxious, nervous, excited energy that ends up annoying my family and my friends that I hang around with, as all I can talk about is the new place that I am going. This allows me an outlet to rant and rave and question the new place that I am going with dozens of other folks in the same boat. My friends and family thank you for this as well lol!
5. An engaged staff. I am not part of any other online community that has such an involved, user friendly staff. An example: when I first really started spending some time on here myself and a few others commented on how a few things on the sidebar of the page made it very slow loading and had a bad lag to it. A few days later, Problem solved. No questions asked. That kind of customer service is also very rare online. So kudos to the tech team for that. And to the others that always have positive and engaging posts and replies to posts, you are a very pro-active part of this community and I thank you for all you do to ensure a quality experience on your site.
So in closing, I just want to again thank all of you involved with this site, from the CoolWorks Staff, to every single member on here. You have been a great addition to my vacation, and I look forward to being able to share my Alaska adventure with you all, and hearing about your adventure as well. This shall be such an amazing summer for us all, and we owe it the Staff to continue to post on here and share our experience's this summer as we live the "Good Life" So look for my upcoming travelblog as I head to Alaska for the first time next week, and fulfill a life long dream.