This is for people who have never worked in a restaurant before. You are the worst customers to wait on. This should teach you some basic customer etiquette to ensure a happy waitress!
1. Do you eat off dirty tables at home? DO NOT sit at a dirty table. If you want that particular table really bad, than wait patiently for it to be cleaned off.
2. Where you raised in a barn? Put the cap back on the ketchup, mustard, ect...Its disgusting seaching thru dirty dishes and whatever else is on the table in search of those tiny little caps.
3. You really can't find a babysitter? If you must dine with children, please make an attempt to pick up the food they throw on the floor. If you don't want to pick it up, then you must compensate the waitress financially. If the children are screaming, then go outside of the restaurant with them. That is a courtesy to the staff and the other customors. Do NOT allow your children to crawl around or run around like wild animals. I have spilled things and run over my fair share of unruly children.
4. Do you know what multitasking is? Seasoned waitresses are very good at multitasking. Do NOT one your waitress to death. If this sentence makes no sense to you, allow me to explain. If a waitress is at the table, ask for everything needed. Do NOT ask for something the second she/he returns with the last thing you just asked for. Get your shit together.
5. Are you deaf? Listen to your waitress when she/he is talking. Your conversation can be put on hold for the 30 seconds. Listing the 10 dressings for each person is totally absurd.
6. Are you that self centered? This just about sums all the previous ones up. Do not hog the waitress. You are most likely not the only person she is taking care of.
7. Tipping is not a sea in China! Waitresses earn about $2.50 an hour from the employer. We DEPEND on your tips. 10% is a horrible tip and reserved only to let the waitress know you received horrible service. 15% is less than average. 18% is average. 20% and more is a good tip. If you must pay by credit card try to leave a cash tip.
8. We are not mind readers! If you want something than ask for it. Good waitresses get good at knowing a customers need before they do, but when its busy sometimes that intuation goes out the window. This is especially important if you don't like your food. We as waitresses have the power to fix it or get it discounted for you. Do NOT eat the whole dinner and then complain about it.
to be continued....