Living & Working in Great Places
Thanks for being here! The six of us at CoolWorks welcome you and wish you success in finding your Jobs in Great Places®!
I'm headed into week 3 at Mesa Verde and I am still loving this job! Sure, I've explained how to get to Cliff Palace about 1,000 times and will surely do this 100,000 times more ... but I honestly try to let the visitor think this was the first time I explained it :-) I have met a really nice guy and co-worker Franz who seems to have a "mini-me" persona about him. He's something like 5-6 years younger than me but we have very similar histories and likes/dislikes. He's my perfect hiking partner for a couple of reasons .... 1) he has artery blockage like me so he can't go too fast, and 2) he has this thing about birds and flowers....he has to stop and take a picture whenever he see's one. This means LOTS of rest stops for me :-) We did the Petroglyph trail last weekend, and plan to conquer the Spruce Canyon trail this coming Saturday. The elevation change is something like 560 ft (OK you hiking fanatics ..... that sounds like a lot to me!). Anyway, there is suppose to be a ton of birds which means lots and lots of rest stops for me as Franz focuses his camera :-) A week from Saturday there is suppose to be an indian Pow Wow at the local reservation. I think we'll go listen to all that nonstop drumming (I'm still hearing the drumming from the Pow Wow in Cody WY in 2009! .... or maybe that's a medical condition....who knows).
Before I forget, I wanted to list the reasons I like working for the Park Service (for all of you out there that are so inclined). I can probably do this easiest by offering a list ...
1) Better pay .... most jobs start at GS4 level ($13.41/hr)
2) You qualify for annual leave immediately (2hr for each pay period). Any leave you don't use will be paid in cash at the end of season.
3) You get pay uplifts for working Sundays and Holidays :-)
4) Kids adore you, and you get to adore them!
5) You get to wear the funny hat :-)
6) Management is often times excellent because you work for NPS permanent managers with many years of personnel and leadership experience. The bad apples were let go a long time ago.
7) The locations are often time spectacular and jaw-dropping .... what a fantastic "office"
8) Co-workers are mature and professional...most went through a lot to get their position just like you.
I am still taking a wait and see attitude ... things may not be so fun by September. But for now there is no where I would rather be than right here :-)
Happy Travels .... Ranger Rich